Board Member Job Description
While we recognize that meeting all of these requirements all of the time is not always possible, we hope you will strive to achieve the following:
Attend at least 75% of regular board meetings, which are held on the fourth Wednesday of every month at 6:30 p.m. in Dartmouth.
Chair and/or serve on a standing committee or special project.
Volunteer for assignments and complete them thoroughly and on time.
Stay informed about committee matters: prepare for meetings, review, and comment on minutes and reports.
Get to know other committee members and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
Recommend a potential candidate for board membership to the Board Nominations Committee.
Be an active participant in the committee's annual evaluation and planning efforts.
Actively assist with the special events of the charity.
Be aware of the fiduciary responsibilities of being a board member.
• When possible, make a personal and/or business contribution to the charity's annual operating needs.
• Consider your capacity and willingness to make a planned gift or bequest to the charity.
• Make person-to-person visits to individuals, foundations, businesses, or civic groups to request financial support for the charity.
• Secure volunteers, in-kind services or material goods for the charity.
• Participate in fundraising events for the charity by assisting with planning, promotion, ticket sales, and attendance.
• Arrange for, or present, a presentation about the charity to a group in the community.
• Invite and accompany a friend or associate to visit the facility.