What is personal information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual, other than an individual’s business title or business contact information. Personal information (e.g. name, address, age, credit card information, banking information) does not include information that cannot be associated with or tracked back to a specific individual. Information that is publicly available, such as a telephone book listing, is also not considered to be personal information.
What information does Alice House collect?
1. Personal Information
Alice House only collects personally identifying information about donors, clients, volunteers and event participants for fundraising, public education and advocacy purposes, program and service delivery, as well as to establish, maintain and manage our relationship with you.
The information the Society collects is the minimum amount we need to demonstrate and maintain volunteer, participant, donor or program relationship with you. This includes:
• contact and identification information, such as your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address
• donation information such as date of gift, amount of gift, the campaign you contributed to, name of spouse or partner if it was a joint gift
• financial information such as your payment methods and preferences, billing and banking information (credit card number and expiry date or chequing account transit numbers, in order to process your donation); for online financial transactions such as donations and event registrations, we process standard credit card information (card number, card type and expiration date) via a secure, 128-bit encrypted Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) session. SSL is the proven standard for secure web transactions.
• other personal information used for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances (e.g. if you have demonstrated an interest in participating in a fundraising event, , we may send you information regarding other fundraising programs and services)
Some of the information that Alice House collects is needed in order to satisfy the requirements of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) (e.g. income tax receipts). There are also circumstances where the use and/or disclosure of personal information is justified or permitted without consent. These circumstances may include:
• where required by law or by order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or other governmental tribunal
• where the Society believes, upon reasonable grounds, that it is necessary to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of an identifiable person or group
• where the information is public
Alice House generally collects your personal information directly from you and only with your consent. In addition, Alice House will not collect or use personal information about you from a third party.
2. Website Generated Information: “cookies” and “tags”
How does Alice House use your personal information?
As explained above, Alice House uses your personal information for fundraising, to process donations, to respond to requests for services and information, and to keep you informed about Society activities.
Accuracy of information
Alice House aims to ensure that any personal information provided is accurate, complete and current as required for the purposes for which the information is used.
Alice House keeps personal information only as long as it is required for the reasons it was collected. The length of time we retain information varies, depending on the service or event and the nature of the information, for example we generally keep financial information for 6 years, in accordance with CRA rules and regulations. The retention period may extend beyond your relationship with us. When your personal information is no longer required for Alice House purposes, the information is either physically destroyed or deleted.
Links to other websites from alicehouse.ca
Alice House may provide links to other websites which Alice House believes may be of interest to you. As Alice House has no control over the content of any of these websites, these links may be updated or deleted as Alice House deems appropriate.
Please be aware that Alice House is not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites that we link to. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each and every website that requests personal information from you.
Inquiries and requests for access