FAMILY COUNSELLOR (HEALING HEARTS PROGRAM) CONTRACT POSITION
2 year contract with possibility of renewal.
POSITION TITLE: Family Counsellor (FC)
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting directly to the Program Director (PD) the Family Counsellor (Healing Hearts Program) must have an operating philosophy that is consistent with the mission, vision, values and goals of AH. Using a feminist philosophy, the incumbent must respect the right of women to selfdetermination and economic and political equality in society, mindful of the need for women and children to experience both security and respect.
The primary function of this position is to provide therapeutic assessment, counselling, and support for children, youth and women to facilitate emotional development and recovery for families exposed to violence, emotional abuse and trauma in the home.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to counselling, needs assessment, advocacy; parental support and education; Group programming and community education/prevention.
COUNSELLING, NEEDS ASSESSMENT & ADVOCACY
● Delivers one-on-one trauma informed/specific, counselling sessions with children, youth and women.
● Using the AH counselling tiers structure as a guide, supports children and women through their individual healing process from trauma and abuse in the home.
● Assesses the emotional, physical, and mental needs of children living in the AH program to determine their counselling and psycho social needs.
● Administers approved screening tools and assessments with service users.
● Provides responsive intervention and utilizes appropriate community supports to best meet the safety, emotional, cultural, social and physical needs of children/youth/women and families.
● Offers community and system advocacy and collaboration based on what is in the best interest of the family while supporting self-advocacy when at all possible.
● Ensures barriers to access counselling are reduced including transportation to and from appointments or services.
PARENTAL SUPPORT & EDUCATION
● Provides information, insight, and understanding into the unique needs of children and youth from abusive environments on a formal, informal, group, and individual basis.
● Supports healthy attachment between mother, child, and sibling relationships.
● Guides and supports decisions made by children and women.
● Provides crisis intervention when necessary.
● Offers education and guidance, on the effects of violence on children and youth, recovery from trauma, regulation skills, co-parenting, and a variety of other relevant topics.
● Provides practical strategies that reinforce positive parenting techniques.
GROUP PROGRAMING AND COMMUNITY EDUCATION/PREVENTION
● Develops and delivers therapeutic, community and social programming to children and parents in the AH program and greater community.
● Ensures programing and education is responsive to the needs of service users and community while grounded in research and best practices.
● Encourages a safe and supportive environment for optimum learning and participation.
● Pursues community education and prevention opportunities specific to improving the well-being of children and youth exposed to violence.
FACTORS PRESENT IN THE POSITION – KNOWLEDGE AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED
● Must be aware of the issues, concerns, and struggles that are faced by women and their children who have been exposed to violence and/or emotional abuse in the home.
● Is expected to hold in strictest confidence all clients’ personal information unless specifically authorized to release such information.
● It is essential that the Family Counsellor demonstrate flexibility, time management skills, and have the ability to react confidently as well as competently to any given situation.
● Demonstrates a commitment to Feminism and Trauma Informed principles in all aspects of counselling and program delivery.
Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, or a related University degree with minimum 3 years’ experience working specifically with children, women and families.
Masters of Counselling or Social Work or other accredited counselling program with minimum 1 years post graduate work specifically with children, women and families.
Training and experience providing therapeutic, trauma informed counselling services to women and families.
Demonstrated expertise in program development and facilitation, and advanced group work skills working with children, families, and communities.
Current registration with professional governing body.
Alice House is dedicated to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility.
We are looking for talented individuals to join our team and welcome applications from all diverse groups.
To help us achieve our diversity goals, we encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter. Access to a reliable vehicle is required for this position.
Salary Range $45,000 - $56,000 annually. Extended Dental and Health Care benefits plan available.
Position posting will remain open until filled.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.